Sturgeon's law and Tokyo Game Market

Tokyo Game Market is approaching.  This time it will be held over two days, nearly 1000 730 booths are due to appear.(Fixed on December 4th. I estimated it a bit too much. sorry.)  It's a ridiculous number.  I cannot see everything in two days.  

I played some games that will be released at the next Tokyo Game Market.  However, I felt there are only a few games worth introducing here.  

In this situation, I remembered Sturgeon's law.

"ninety percent of everything is crap". 

Sturgeon's law - Wikipedia

Some people interpret this word as follows. 


"There is always a lot of poor works in genres that produce certain masterpieces".  ...The existence of a lot of poor works presupposes the existence of a market that accepts them, but genres that do not have it cannot produce masterpieces. Because such poor works are also places to train the creator of the fledgling. The genre that lost them tends to lose the successor.

(Above is a translation from Japanese version Wikipedia.)

Tokyo Game Market where more than 10,000 people gather is currently functioning as a place to accept such a poor works, and well-known designers like Seiji Kanai and Hisashi Hayashi grew in it.

I'm exploring the ocean of Japanese indie board games, expecting to find a new superstar.  In that process, I encountered too many craps accounting for ninety percent of the total.  When I play such a crappy board game, sometimes I feel it is completely waste of time.  However, I continue exploring, convincing myself that it is a part of ninety percent of crap which is necessary to produce masterpieces like "Love Letter" and "Yokohama".  If I find something that makes me feel a glimpse of the masterpiece in the Tokyo Game Market, I'll report here.

Comments

Popular Posts