Hong Kong board game report

I have kept you waiting for a long, long time.  Now, I've published a report on board games in Hong Kong and Hong Kong Book Festival.


I went to Hong Kong in July and visited the Hong Kong Book Fair and some board game shop.

Hong Kong Book Fair is a big fair in which a large number of books and about 1 million people gathers.



There were some board games at this fair, but the number of games is fewer than I expected.  Perhaps I guess I should have gone to Hong Kong during another event.
(I have no image of Hong Kong Book Fair because taking a photo is prohibited at the Fair.)

Then I visited some board game shops in Hong Kong.  
Most of these shops are located on high floors because Hong Kong is a small area and there are so many skyscrapers.  So they are hard to find.

This is a picture of Jolly Thinkers.  It not only sells games but provides playing space.  And it publishes (Traditional) Chinese version of games such as "Deception: Murder in Hong Kong".

All the board game shops I visited in Hong Kong were both selling games and offering playing spaces.  Most of the shops were crowded with many customers.


Most board games sold in Hong Kong are from Europe and America.  Among Asian board games, a ratio of Taiwanese games is relatively large.  
And there were some Japanese games.  "Yokohama(横濱紳商伝", "Sakura Arms(桜降る代に決闘を)", "Crows Overkill(三千世界の烏を殺し主と朝寝がしてみたい)" and more.  
I also found "Tokyo Sidekick(東京サイドキック)" that just published in May, but it was just an exhibit.



I bought some Hong Kong designer's games, but I still don't have a chance to play them.  As far as I can see, playing time for most games is short.  

I guess there are many board game fans in Hong Kong, but the power to produce board games is still weak.  It is difficult to grasp the situation of the Hong Kong board game world with a short trip so my guess may not be right.

Comments

Popular Posts